Thursday, February 25, 2010

Our Yard


Many people have been posting pictures about their yards lately. Mostly due to receiving incredible amounts of snow or rain resulting in huge piles of snow or flooded streets. I missed taking pictures of our flooded backyard the last couple times it turned into a lake but I did manage to capture the results of the lake this morning - beautiful, flowering weeds. Although I've never had much of a flower garden, I've tried many times - planting flowers at my parents house. I always enjoyed digging in the dirt and planing the flowers and trying to take care of them. I really miss not having flowers here. The yard consists of rocks with an overabundance of cactus - probably my least favorite landscape. I think it's interesting that a different variety of weeds sprout up each year. I don't know why this is. Perhaps the seeds lie dormant in the ground and depending on the timing of the rain different seeds sprout up. I happen to like these weeds since they are flowering and all. When I first moved in I spent 15 minutes or so pulling weeds every morning but I haven't been pulling weeds consistently lately and to my dismay these practically appeared overnight. Today my uncle (& landlord) came over and sprayed the yard with weed killer. Hopefully this will prevent more from growing and stunt the growth of the current weeds. Eventually I'll once again don my gloves and still have to pull them all out though. Everytime I see the rare yard with grass I'm so jealous. It would be so nice to have a yard although I realize it's not feasible to have one. It's funny the things you take for granted and miss when it's gone. Who knew I would miss grass so much? But getting back to the upkeep of the yard I'm sure there much be a better way to keep it looking nice then harmful chemicals. It especially saddens me to see the groundhogs that have taken up residency in tunnels under the cactus along the back fence venture out and nibble on the weeds that have just been sprayed.

No comments: